One of the greatest joys of the holidays is spending time with family and friends who oftentimes come from afar. So how can you prepare a welcoming and cozy space for your overnight guests? With these 5 simple steps to prep, your home will be ready and able to be visited and lived in…for a short while, that is.
1. Decide which room guest(s) will occupy. It might be a playroom, home office or a spare bedroom.
2. Clear the room of any miscellaneous items and clutter (i.e. toys, office items, extra unneeded furniture, etc.). Store these things in bins and in the garage, attic/basement, or closet. Photo courtesy of oprah.com.
3. Next, pull out the sofa bed if you have one. If not, a blow-up mattress is a great option. It’s nice to make the bed the same way you would make your own. Use cozy linens, comfy pillows and plush blankets to create a bed that feels just like home. Photo courtesy of airbedwarehouse.com.
4. Provide “guest niceties”: clean towels folded nicely (and perhaps tied with a ribbon) add a special touch to place at the foot of the bed. Fresh flowers, a glowing candle, and holiday decorations are also a sure way to make someone feel both special and welcome.
5. A small basket of incidentals (water bottle, notepad and pen, magazines, alarm clock, fruit, etc.) next to the bed helps provide a hospitable stay.
Follow these simple steps to create a festive room where guests will feel as if they were right at home.
Have any other helpful “get ready for guests” tips? We’d welcome your comments!