Here is a fun and super easy project to welcome the start of a colorful and creative new year! With so many post holiday sales, finding paper mache, burlap, or even cardboard animal statues will be a cinch. The one we used here was a flea market find just waiting to be wrapped in yarn and transformed into something truly unique and fun – kind of like this bird-on-a-branch keepsake. My inspiration for this project? A window display which totally caught my eye:
I knew I could DIY this at home, so here’s all I needed…
• leftover yarn (the thicker and more colorful, the better)
• small push pins
• burlap/paper mache/bamboo statue (any type that is porous enough to take push pins)
1. Start by wrapping the nose of your animal. To begin, leave a small tail and over-wrap it to hide and secure the yarn piece.
2. Use push pins to create spaces and add wrapping edges where needed (eyes, hips, haunches, etc.). Once you’ve secured the push pins, you can wrap the yarn around it, then pull over some of the threads to hide them.
3. When switching colors, tie end to new colored yarn end, then over-wrap to hide the knot. Don’t worry if you do see the knot…it actually adds character!
4. Use different colors of yarn to create any pattern and look you desire. Have fun! Go nuts and use your imagination when adding color…there is no wrong way to do this which is why this is such a fabulous project!
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR…and go DIY your home space!!!
All photography by Skaie Knox, HomeJelly